You know, I wrote that Kate Chopin quote on my birthday. And I found out the day after my birthday, the day after I decided to use the quote, that Kate Chopin and I share the same birthday. If that's not fate-filled, I don't know what is.
It was at the end of the world. Misty and foggy and surrounded by water on three sides. It was full of my best friends and good champagne, pretty wooden floors and strong coffee. It's a place that's in the middle of nowhere in Norway, a country that is already in the middle of nowhere itself. And so far out there, dancing salsa and reggaeton and merengue until way too early in the morning, then waking up way too early to sit around in our sweatpants and drink coffee and listen to Jack Johnson....all the way out there, with all those strange things in such a strange place, all of that juxtaposition....and I was more happy than I've been in a long time. And no, not just because of the champagne. Because I was dancing with people I adore, because I was toasting my birthday with my best friends, because my Spanish has finally reached a conversational level, because it was debauchery at its finest.
Beautiful presents (I finally have a Spanish-language copy of "Love in the Times of Cholera"), beautiful food, beautiful wine, beautiful clothes, beautiful scenery, beautiful friends. I am content.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment