An interesting topic. Do we always need it? Can life continue unrestrained if we don't find it, in every situation? Even if I'm not bothered by something, not haunted by it, not consciously aware of it, the coming of closure always provides a most welcome relief. It's like having a weight lifted off of you that you had become so accustomed to that you forgot you were even carrying it. So while you carry this weight, you may not notice it. But once it is gone, you feel lighter. You didn't notice it when it was bad (maybe) but then when it becomes resolved, you definitely notice the good.
I just read over this whole blog. I write an insane amount. It's just so...comforting. And it's nice to read over everything and realize that sometimes, I might actually have intelligent things to say. Now I just need to start taking my own advice.
I often wonder if I sound pretentious. I fear that I do. All broody and dramatic and all in strange English. I don't mean to be. I mean to be honest.
Everything has just begun to align. The reason for my musings on closure are that, I've come to decide, that perhaps I have to learn how to live with loose ends. Perhaps I have to learn how to participate in a knock-'em-down, drag-'em-out fight for a long time. Is that enough, to realize that closure may never happen?
I've noticed today that what bothers me is a general lack of respect for history. Now this is all kinds of history. It is political history, when people fail to see the nuances of an issue because they don't understand where it arose from. It is experiential history, when people fail to cease doing something even though the past shows it should not be done. It is social history, when people fail to recognize the histories of others, the memories and the pasts and the moments of others and simply choose to act upon however they feel at that point in time, regardless of the mountains of things other people have built up both for each other and for themselves. It is personal history, when people fail to learn from themselves. A general lack of history. I feel it as a constant annoyance.
A quote, from an earlier blog, but that is important. I still love the quote from yesterday, though.
"If we overcome space, then all we have left is here. And if we overcome time, then all we have left is now. And in the middle of here and now, don't you think we'll see each other once or twice?"-Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment