So, to be more concise than the last post (which I fear verged on the point of unreadable)...
Life is wonderful. I have probably never drank so much coffee and wine or eaten so many baguettes in my life, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
I've started to set down roots here in Paris and I've begun to make some connections. It is wonderful.
I've found Greek and Latin classes to attend for free at the American University in Paris, I've found courses in Eastern Philosophy (taught in French, though) just a few steps from my apartment, I've got a few volunteering options through the American Church in Paris...and now I've become quite comfortable at Shakespeare and Co., so much so that I think they'll just offer me a room there soon. Shakespeare and Co., for those who don't know, is a ridiculous bookstore in Paris, right across from Notre Dame, that is quite close to the most perfect place on Earth. It is an English bookstore, full of random new and used books. Travellers and poor writers alike often board in the lofts above the bookstore for any amount of time and the place is run entirely by volunteers. I've met other foreigners in Paris through the store and I have a feeling that my life in Paris will, in many ways, radiate from the bookshelves at that place.
I spent today having coffee with another American on a gap year spending some time lost in Paris like me. Then we went back to Shakespeare and Co. (where he's living for the moment) and met up with another American and the three of us ended up sharing a bottle of wine on the Seine as the sun set. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
I met an artist today on a bridge in Paris who quickly became obsessed with my blue eyes, telling me he was going to paint a picture using my "blue energy" and that I must come back and see it. I love Paris.
I also found a couple of restaurants I may try getting a job in. There are apparently many places in Paris run by English speakers that don't really care whether you have paperwork and a legal visa or not. I think it would be a good way to really feel like I was living in Paris, rather than just going to a few random classes and hanging around the bookstore. I want to connect to the city in some way, and working in a restaurant seems perfect.
Alright, so much for concise. I should stop now because in reality, I could ramble on about Paris forever and ever.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Valerie - Shakespeare & Co. is the place in Paris. I rememeber down the same road by the river,I bought my Jim Morrison poster.... You're living the dream =)
Post a Comment